Come Work with the Franciscan Friars of the Holy Spirit
Director of Communications and Marketing
Purpose and Scope
To support the Franciscan Friars of the Holy Spirit (FHS), the Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for coordinating internal and external communications, as well as developing and implementing programs, procedures and processes relating to marketing, public communications and media relations.
Essential Job Functions
- Acts as spokesperson for all media outlets including TV, radio, Internet and printed publications.
- Manages media relations program and serves as a clearinghouse for all media inquiries to the organization.
- Writes and distributes press releases.
- Represents the Franciscan Friars of the Holy Spirit at public functions, social gatherings or business/church functions as directed by the Supervisor.
- Prepares and distributes Monthly Media Alerts via e-mail and the web.
- Is on call and available outside of normal business hours to handle media and/or public relations issues regarding various situations as they may arise.
- Supervises coordination of all marketing and communication related media efforts.
- Manages all editorial aspects of the website; oversees web content editor regarding design and implementation of site features.
- Writes, produces, and directs radio and television spots and programs and purchases airtime to place the spots.
- Interfaces with FHS priests and their organizations to understand the activities and concerns of their ministries.
- Develops new publications, products, or services in keeping with the mission of FHS to either promote the education and information objectives of the publications and/or to provide new sources of revenue to support existing products and services.
- Speaks to diocesan, parish, and community groups to promote the communication efforts of FHS and its activities.
- Coordinate and develop volunteers to assist with the functions and ministries directly related to the promotion of FHS
Additional Job Functions
- Performs any other job-related tasks deemed necessary and/or as assigned by the Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity and professionalism and effectively communicate with the public and co-workers.
- Ability to work in a team environment and maintain a good working relationship with all diocesan and parish staff.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Roman Catholic Church (including its teachings and doctrine) and the Franciscan Friars of the Holy Spirit in order to provide accurate information to the media and the public.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to develop contacts in the publication industry.
- Working knowledge of advertising and marketing.
- Ability to take on tough issues and remain calm under fire by the media.
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level of integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to achieve the professional confidence of others and to elicit cooperation of others.
- Proven ability to develop media contacts.
- Skill in developing web content.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism.
- Five years of working experience in a related position, preferably in a publishing, broadcast and media setting.
- Must be computer literate and have a working knowledge of hardware and software applications related to the media/publishing industry.
- Active practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.